Friday, July 18, 2014

THINGS TO DO WHILE GETTING TO KNOW YOUR PUPPY

r.ddmcdn.com
Don’t start off the relationship by being tough and critical. Harsh discipline has no place here; you’re a teacher, not a cop. The pup has to feel he is a member of the family.
Affection first, rules later. Establish a loving bond, and trust will come from the sense of security he gets.
  Sound Levels
Keep your tone of voice soft, soothing and calming. When the puppy first comes home keep the lights low; keep the noise level low, too—no high-pitched, screechy excitement about the dog from children or adults following the puppy’s arrival. A high-pitched tone of voice is arousing. Using a high, falsetto voice will get the puppy’s attention, but right now you don’t want to rev him up.
  Cuddle the Puppy.
All puppies like physical contact and stimulation, so hold, rub and scratch them. Physical contact is important to convey to the puppy how you feel about him.
Handling, Grooming
If you have a pup that loves to be stroked, brushed, etc, just keep it coming. If anything happens that makes her resist, give her lots of treats while slowly continuing the handling.
Common areas of sensitivity include the ears, mouth, neck, hindquarters, tail and feet. Desensitize her to such areas by going slowly, giving praise for her cooperation with verbal encouragement and delicious bits of cheese. If feet are a problem, for example, then at the point on her leg where she gets nervous as you approach, give her the cheese (or chicken). Keep touching that place and giving treats until she is okay with it. Then make your way down the leg—stopping when she gets nervous and giving her mega-treats until she’s relaxed and you can keep heading south.
  Many Small Training Moments
You can train a puppy by asking for a response in ordinary situations many times a day. This method of getting the idea across and making good behavior an ingrained habit is more pleasurable and effective than drilling it in with practice sessions.
  Expect the Puppy to Do Most Things Wrong in the Beginning.
Don’t adopt the attitude that you can never let a puppy “get away” with anything, when all he’s doing is just trying to figure out what you want.
  Make a Rule, Stick to Your Guns.
Consistency is vital to a well-raised puppy. Don’t let the puppy get away with a forbidden behavior because you’re tired or in a rush, or because right now it doesn’t seem so important.
You cannot allow something like paws on the counter one day and then get furious the following day when the pup does it again.
Everyone who comes into contact with the puppy needs to follow those same rules—for example, you can’t have some family members or friends allowing the dog to jump up, because it undermines whatever rules you have laid down.
Praise profusely when the puppy does anything right, especially something new that he might not have fully understood. Your praise helps reinforce the behavior.
  Sit.
A puppy should be expected to sit before dinner or any treat and before getting groomed or patted. Sit should be the “please” and “thank you” that people work so hard to drill into their children—which makes polite kids so pleasant to be around.
Sitting before any greeting is really a helpful habit, because it means the dog is not in a position to jump and accidentally scratch with his claws.
  Go to Your Bed.
A puppy should be pleasantly sent to a bed that is near the door or near the dining table, and then praised generously and quite quickly released with an “Okay!” This makes it enjoyable to  “go to your bed”—it’s almost like a game the puppy is learning while developing a quick response to being told to chill out and back off.

Anything you let the puppy get away with she will continue to do when she is full-grown. You have to ask yourself: how cute will it be then? Letting a puppy get away with murder means you are setting the stage for an adult dog who is constantly being yanked and yelled at and made to feel like a delinquent. It’s much harder to undo bad habits than to go out of your way to avoid forming them early on.
Copyright © Tracie Hotchner – Originally appeared in The Dog Bible: Everything Your Dog Wants You to Know by Tracie Hotchner

41 comments:

  1. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read !! After you read this post, you’ll be wishing you worked from sunrise to sunset Alaska time

    Dog Lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. san marino softair

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read !! After you read this post, you’ll be wishing you worked from sunrise to sunset Alaska time
    good money habits

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. Installing Outdoor Lighting in Miami

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dogs.. Such a cute and lovely animal, the loyal one... Thanks for sharing this I should also consider this for my pup. I also recommend to every dog owner to get a training course so you can get to know how to handle your dogs.. Once again thanks for this information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. dog house with ac

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us. best harness for dogs that pull

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading. Will surely going to share this URL with my friends. best robot vacuum for cat litter

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. אוף גריד

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been searching to find a comfort or effective procedure to complete this process and I think this is the most suitable way to do it effectively. משרדי יחסי ציבור בתל אביב

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really likewise an incredibly beneficial placing most of us severely encountered shopping as a result of. It truly is faraway from each and every day we have now possibility to think about something. SEO backlinks Strategy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Orange County web design

    ReplyDelete
  13. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. 5 Simple Ways to Get Your Dog to Pay Attention

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really likewise an incredibly beneficial placing most of us severely encountered shopping as a result of. It truly is faraway from each and every day we have now possibility to think about something.
    blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work
    Adopt Me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. grace and frankie season 5

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just pure brilliance from you here. I have never expected something less than this from you and you have not disappointed me at all. I suppose you will keep the quality work going on. Rückbau

    ReplyDelete
  19. An observational study published online Jan. 8, 2020, by The BMJ suggests that people who follow four or five healthy habits have an additional decade of disease-free living, compared with people who don’t follow any healthy lifestyle habits. health department

    ReplyDelete
  20. The goal is to recognize when inflammation is merely doing its job, and when it can potentially cause problems. health

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated. good news network

    ReplyDelete
  22. Leader in developing embedded system projects, providing Engineering and SCADA solutions using Raspberry pi, Arduino and more.... qualcomm

    ReplyDelete
  23. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! SEO Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  24. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Fist Dildos

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. Penis Developers

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also. see more

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. Anal Douches

    ReplyDelete
  28. Do you choose canned food or dry food? What brand? There are so many different brands, all shapes and sizes of pet food to choose from . thelovepets

    ReplyDelete
  29. Probably very happy you’ll. Simply the style manually operated to be naturally and never a pet untruths at all the almost every other blog pages. Delight in your amazing berbagi until this most significant doctor. Life Style

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. vac was unable to verify the game session

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would recommend my profile is important to me, I invite you to discuss this topic... Headlines

    ReplyDelete
  32. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing. azitma

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work. duzalta

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work. Health

    ReplyDelete
  35. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing. mobile dog grooming near me

    ReplyDelete
  36. To give you an understanding of by-products, I'd like to compare this pet food ingredient to pies - you know, the dessert! A dog's life

    ReplyDelete
  37. You can make specific provisions for the care of your pets. Cats games

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you very much for this useful article. I like it. towing service

    ReplyDelete
  39. Bharat Go Digital Academy is a online e learning platform where we teach people the digital skills.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also. 香港相親網

    ReplyDelete
  41. i am for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to present something back and help others such as you helped me. تأشيرة هندية

    ReplyDelete